Apr 20, 2012

RESOURCES

Remember when I said I was starting this business adventure with almost no money?  And that being self-employed meant I left my job doing one thing and now I do eight different jobs?  Apparently that didn't translate clearly into a defined start up effort and associated toll on my beauty sleep. 

(Okay, it did translate, I chose to ignore it.)

Can I just say (this one time) how exhausting it has been setting up a business?!  I'm consuming orange juice and jelly beans at an alarming rate, because (failing that) I'm going to have to scare up some NZT-48 to get through all the manuals, web tutorials, and how-to articles I've been reading.

I digress.  Getting back to my intended point: no money + eight different jobs = lots of (mostly) free software required!  Here's the complete list of what I'm using and learning about just to get started with an online presence:

  • Accounting/Inventory management: Quickbooks by Intuit.  Paid software.
  • IT assist: ESET antivirus and smart security.  Paid software and totally worth every cent of the annual cost.
  • Website development: Serif WebPlus.  Free software.  Takes the place of buying DreamWeaver ($120 - 400) or hiring developers for thousands.
  • Website flash animation: Vectorian Giotto.  Free software.  Takes the place of JavaScript or similar, but only because I don't speak/read/have the time to learn detailed coding, and Giotto is made to be designer-user friendly.
  • Image editing and (another) flash animation: GIMP 2.6 and Serif DrawPlus.  Free software.  DrawPlus overlaps some features of both Giotto and Gimp, but I wasn't sure it would do what I wanted for both flash animation and image editing.  Takes the place of very expensive ($699+!!!) Adobe Photoshop.

Other learnings (aka: R & D):
Etsy seller articles (the next online step)
Art Biz articles
Government legaleze
Grant writing articles
Blogging articles (specific to marketing, time management)
Marketing via social media articles
Beauty sleep articles


Speaking of, it's time to put those lessons to good use and go to bed . . . the Sandman calls.



No comments:

Post a Comment