Apr 15, 2012

SKIPPING AHEAD

Today I had a meeting with a friend of mine, Jose, who is helping me with some of the web site design and implementation.  He's also one of my mentors in this whole "making art pay the bills" adventure I've begun: he's been doing this for several years with a house payment, roommates, and two children to raise, so you can take it to the bank that I pay attention to his advice.

Not that I always take it, but I do pay attention!

After we got the web business talk out of the way and I had a better idea of what in the hell I needed to do next, talk turned to (as usual) A Plan for some sort for a collaborative art project.  This year, since we'll be traveling across the country to attend my cousins' plein air paint-out in Oregon, we're going to try to make the trip a full-out marketable American artist experience.  Game. On.

The tentative Plan is to take two weeks to get to Oregon by an as-yet-to-be-determined route, stopping at various locations for one- or two-day excursions.  We'll have a theme.  We'll blog our experience.  We'll make lots of art during and do something with it after. 

The first step is to figure out how we pay for the trip, as this will determine the theme and our route.  If we can get a grant our theme will likely be something like The American Experience.  If we don't get a grant and receive support from a non-profit organization then our theme will be determined by that organization's interests, such as Arts in Education or Children for More Vegetables.

The Plan is afoot, deadlines are on the calendar, ideas abound. 

But first . . . the web site!  After all, I've gotta have a place to showcase my work before I can really start generating buzz about it.  Back to the grindstone . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment