Aug 6, 2013

ZEN-TANGLE SIGNATURE MAT

One of the few commissioned pieces I've worked on recently (erm. . .that's actually finished) was a signature mat for a baby shower.  I just love it when folks let me be an artist and give me something loose and basic like a theme and then just let me run with it--I always end up with something more amazing than what I initially thought I'd do (which works out for everyone!).

So this started out with the theme of jungle animals to match the party-themed doo-dads and boo-floopies.  And since the mother is Hungarian/Romanian and missing the little touches of home I was angling for something that would appear embroidered as a nod to the rich decorative needlework of those countries.  Plus the father is part English, so you really can't go wrong with embroidery however you look at it.

Anywho.  A couple hours to figure out the overall design, make a template, and transfer it to the mat, then on to laying down the lines and filling it all in.  Obviously I couldn't duplicate the intricate stitching of actual needlework when working in monochrome, but the same effect can be achieved by filling in open areas with detailed patterns.  Thus, I did some quick research into zen-tangle patterns (Google Fu!) and 5 hours later I was done (and headed for the nearest collision between my neck and a heating pad because no drafting table = ow).

If you're wondering how much something like this might cost for future commissioned work, the answer is: "Enough to buy a drafting table."  Heh!

Here's the 11x14" mat (it was presented framed, of course) and a few detail shots.


5 points to whomever can name the "bird" flower in the background!  :P

This little dude was my favourite.  I just want to poke him in his belly like the Pillsbury Doughboy until he giggles.



No comments:

Post a Comment