Jun 25, 2014

ILLUSTRATED PHOTO MAT: Garden Buffet (Snails!)

Lest you think the flowers are the subject of this mat, look again!

I've had MANY people tell me they love the cat illustrations I did, and would I please do something in a similar style for [enter other animal type here].  I don't take commissions (yet?), but I'm always amenable to a suggestion for future work!

So, a friend asked me to do something with snails.  I actually had a very different plan for the snails, which is still in the sketchbook waiting to be transferred to a photo mat, but somewhere between there and the actual inking I kept coming back to this over-the-top almost-abstract idea for snails in a flower bed.  As you can see, I went with the color bomb.

As a result of their VAST reduction in size, the detail in the snails was dialed waaaay back.

[Never fear, snail-lovers!  You, too, will have your zany cartoon snails . . . just not so much in this illustration.]

Here's an extreme close up:


Each snail is about 1/4" in diameter on the actual mat.

No comments:

Post a Comment