Jul 18, 2012

WINCHESTER VA ILLUSTRATIONS (LOTR)

This week one of my goals is to develop a series of cartoonish sketches of iconic places or structures around my hometown of Winchester, VA; these will be used to kick off a few merchandise pieces to support the cost of the previously mentioned Lines on the Road cross-country art trip.

Today I went out to do the first sketches of a few places in town: the Handley Library and the Rouss Fire Company.  Although these could be tightened up to look more realistic, I feel Winchester can be a little rigid about maintaining a traditional or more formal look, so I like to push my interpretations into a look that's more modern and fun.  Right now I plan to have the final images be something close to a cross between HB's Bedrock (from the Flintstones) and the Life is Good illustrations with a pinch of Dr. Seuss for good measure.

Of course, I also find the art sometimes takes on its own personality and I end up with something totally different than what I planned!  Here's to skillful execution and pleasant surprises . . .


Winchester's Handley Library and iconic original apple (top), and Rouss Fire Co (bottom).


*Update 7/20


Draft version of the Handley Library/apple illustration:



*Update 7/23


Draft version of the Rouss Fire Company (sans Old Jake weathervane, which will be added to the final):


No comments:

Post a Comment